building a true RNG

John S. Denker jsd at monmouth.com
Fri Aug 2 07:27:45 EDT 2002

David Wagner <daw at cs.berkeley.edu> writes:
>>> I don't know of any good cryptographic hash function
>>> that comes with a proof that all outputs are possible.

What about the scheme
	Pad -> Encipher -> Contract
described at
  http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/turbid/paper/turbid.htm#sec-uniform-hash

>>> if we apply the Luby-Rackoff construction

David Wagner wrote:

> You understood it perfectly.  Good point.
> I didn't notice that problem.  Harrumph.

There is only the most minor of problems here, namely
that DAW mentioned a symmetric cipher.  The problem goes
away if you use asymmetric crypto.  You want a cipher with
no _deciphering_ key, as described in my paper.  (op. cit.)