[FYI] Antiques man guilty of Enigma charge

Hadmut Danisch hadmut at danisch.de
Thu Sep 27 11:17:56 EDT 2001

On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 01:58:07PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> In message <F504A8CEE925D411AF4A00508B8BE90A01E90962 at exna07.securitydynamics.co
> m>, "Trei, Peter" writes:
> >> Axel H Horns[SMTP:horns at ipjur.com]
> >>
> >> The machine was one of only three in the world An antiques dealer has
> >> admitted handling a stolen code-breaking Enigma machine, worth
> >> £100,000.
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>

> The machine in question is an Abwehr Enigma, a variant of the basic
> design.  (There were a fair number of variants, in fact.)

Are you sure about this?

I thought only the polish and the british deciphering teams
had "code-breaking" enigma machines (which became part of the
"bombe"). Wasn't the "Abwehr Enigma" a plain encryption machine?

Hadmut

[Moderator's note: I'm sure it was just a misstatement in the original
article. --Perry]