Bush's anti-terror bill appears not to include crypto restrictions

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Sep 20 00:15:20 EDT 2001

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 09:23:56AM -0700, jamesd at echeque.com wrote:
> Not so good.  Anyone can easily suspect me of being a
> terrorist, if I should discuss certain topics that are of
> interest to this list.

Yeah, the draft sent to Congress late Wednesday doesn't have crypto
restrictions, but it does have a lot of wiretapping and FISA stuff.
Probably the most dramatic changes to wiretapping/electronic surveillance
law since CALEA.

Wartimeliberty.com has posted the text of the draft bill,
called the "Mobilization Against Terrorism Act":
http://www.wartimeliberty.com/article.pl?sid=01/09/20/0333204

The outline (if you want a quick summary) is here:
http://www.wartimeliberty.com/article.pl?sid=01/09/19/2311225&mode=thread

-Declan