Sen. Hollings plans to introduce DMCA sequel: The SSSCA

Ian BROWN I.Brown at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Sep 10 14:59:45 EDT 2001

Rick is absolutely right, but could I give the lobbyist reply?

>1) This Act actually creates two types of computers: those that comply with
>the Act and those that don't comply.

Wrong; it eradicates the second type. Our innovative US hardware sector will be
ready with compliant machines the day the Act comes into force.

>2) This Act artificially inflates the cost of a basic PC, making it much
>harder to install them in schools, or use them in other ways to educate
>disadvantaged American citizens.

Wrong again; economies of scale will mean the entire industry will unite to
build on the important work by the TCPA, 4C Entity (or however many Cs there
are these days) and Microsoft to add this capability at minimal cost.

>3)  If this Act forces all U.S. vendors to comply with the Act, then it
>eliminates U.S. vendors from the international personal computer market.
>Overseas vendors will continue to build the powerful products we use today,
>which provide far greater capabilities than most user can harness. U.S.
>vendors will have to build more costly products that won't be able to
>compete against cheaper foreign products.

It won't take long to use the WIPO, WTO, and good 'ole US strongarm tactics to
impose this legislation on the rest of the world. Meanwhile, we impose
crippling sanctions on any company with any US exposure that produces such
devices. cf Cuba, war on drugs, etc. etc.

>4) This Act prevents "garage shop" innovation in information technology by
>placing it entirely in the hands of established vendors. This kills the
>wellspring of innovation that was responsible for the PC revolution in the
>first place. Innovation doesn't happen if it has to ask permission first.

Who cares about innovation if it isn't contributing campaign dollars?

Sorry for my cynicism :(

Ian.