Judging interest in FC'02

R. A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Sun Oct 21 17:02:30 EDT 2001

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 18:07:45 +0100
From: Nicko van Someren <nicko at ncipher.com>
To: fc at ifca.ai
Subject: Judging interest in FC'02

Fellow Financial Cryptographer,

	In the wake of the terror in New York last month a number of
conferences have been cancelled or postponed.  Part of this is due
to attendees fearing flying and part is due to the companies being
uncertain as to their financial future in these turbulent times.
Either way attendance at conferences is down.

	The IFCA is planning the 6th Financial Cryptography conference
to be in Bermuda from the 11th to the 14th of March next year.  We
are at a stage in the planning when we need to tell the hotel how
many people we expect.  In the past we took the previous years number
at added 10%, but this year we are less sure of continued growth.

	We expect to hold the conference at the Sonesta Beach Resort in
Southampton, Bermuda.  The hotel is on the beach and will be less
than half the price of the Marriott in Grand Cayman used for FC'01,
since feedback from this year suggested that many people were unhappy
with the costs.  In other respects we hope that the conference in
2002 will be much like this year's.

	I am writing you to ask for your input.  In particular I would
like to know from you, the previous attendees this conference, if
	(a) you plan to try to come to FC'02, and
	(b) if you feel you are more or less likely to come than you
	were two months ago?

	By both getting an idea of the fraction of respondents that plan
to come and seeing what sort of shift has occurred we hope we can
extrapolate the right number of people for which to cater.  Of course,
if you have any other comments about the conference please do let me
know and if you or your employers might be interested in sponsoring the
event  then definitely drop me a line!

	I look forward to hearing from you, and hopefully seeing you in
Bermuda next March.

	Nicko van Someren
	General Chair, FC'02

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA