First Steganographic Image in the Wild

Greg Broiles gbroiles at well.com
Tue Oct 16 14:30:05 EDT 2001

At 11:43 PM 10/15/2001 +0100, Adam Back wrote:

>If you read the web page it was just a demo created by ABC news --
>that doesn't count as found in the wild.  Not that it would be that
>far out to find the odd image in the wild created as a novelty by
>someone tinkering with stego software, or perhaps even individuals
>playing with stego.
>
>Stego isn't a horseman, and the press drumming up scare stories around
>stego is ludicrous.  We don't need any more stupid cryptography or
>internet related laws.  More stupid laws will not make anyone safer.

I agree, but if Congress isn't careful (and they don't seem to be in a
careful mood these days), they'll end up outlawing watermarking in
digital "content", which would do to the DRM (digital rights management)
industry what they tried to do to security researchers with the DMCA.

Perhaps the RIAA and SDMI folks will now come out in favor of
steganography in order to save their businesses.

Or maybe they be forced to rewrite their complicated protection schemes
to enable "stego escrow", so that federal agents can monitor the secrets
hidden inside published content, to make sure there aren't any hidden
messages in Anthrax albums.

--
Greg Broiles
gbroiles at well.com
"We have found and closed the thing you watch us with." -- New Delhi street kids