First Steganographic Image in the Wild

Sidney Markowitz sidney at sidney.com
Mon Oct 15 18:37:44 EDT 2001

The URL Kevin posted is slashdotted because of this article

Based on the comments on slashdot it appears that Niels Provos, whose
program found no steganography in millions of images on the web, was able
to detect and decode an example image planted by ABC as part of their
documentary on steganography and mentioned b ythem on the air. The example
was a picture hidden mixed in to another picture revealed using the
password 'ABC'.

I don't think this is an example of steganography in the wild. It does show
that the software would have been effective at finding hidden unencrypted
pictures protected by simple English words if anyone was posting such
things  on the sites that Provos searched. As to why that is more effective
than an email from one anonymous hotmail account to another saying
"Everything is set. Proceed according to plan" or even "Plans have changed,
make contact through the usual channels" I have no idea.

 -- sidney