AGAINST ID CARDS

Arnold G. Reinhold reinhold at world.std.com
Thu Oct 4 18:41:44 EDT 2001

I too am very nervous about the prospect of national ID cards.  I
have an idea for a possible compromise, but I have not made up my
mind on it. I'm interested in hearing other people's opinions.

The idea is a federal standard for secure  drivers' licenses. These
would be cards containing a chip that stores an electronically signed
and time stamped data file consisting of the driver's name, date of
birth, height, address, photo, and scanned signature, as well as
endorsements such as truck, school bus, motorcycle and hazmat
operator licenses. All this information is contained in existing
drivers' licenses, but in a way that is too easy to forge.

The licenses would still be issued by the states so there would be no
new bureaucracy.  People who don't drive could get "proof of age"
cards using the same technology. Many states now issue such cards in
conventional formats for liquor purchase. There would be pressure to
expand the use of these licenses to other uses. That has already
happened for conventional DLs with liquor purchase and airline
boarding. Some new uses might be acceptable, e.g. using the cards to
contain  pilot or boating licenses. Limitations on new uses could be
included in the enabling legislation.

The security model of the card would be privacy oriented, i.e.
limiting who could access the cards to authorized users and the
owner. The integrity of the information would come from the
electronic signatures.  As I understand it, much of the forgery of
DLs that now takes place involves unauthorized use of the equipment
that produces legitimate cards. The secure DL would cut down on this
because the information on the card would be signed by by the
operator of the equipment, making the forgery more traceable. The
data would also be signed using a key that is only available at a
central location and a copy of the signed info would be retained in
the driver database (this information is already collected anyway).
This would make it more difficult to change just the photo on the
license, for example.

The main difference between a secure driver's license and a national
ID is that there would be no new requirement to obtain or carry the
card.  One can look at it as the nose in the camel's tent or as a way
to deflect pressure for more Draconian solutions.

Thoughts?

Arnold Reinhold