new *fast* version of BitTorrent out

Bram Cohen bram at gawth.com
Fri Jul 20 18:18:21 EDT 2001

Version 1.0.5 of BitTorrent is out, you can get it here -

http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

All the encryption is now being done in C, as a result of which all that
old slowness has disappeared, resulting in a product which will happily
utilize your whole net connection.

Also in this release is a completely rewritten README.txt and
miscellaneous improvements/cleanups.

This version *should* work under Windows and MacOS X, but I don't have
machines which run those.

The next version will have platform-specific executable distributions
which don't require you have the python development libraries installed to
build them. I need volunteers for Windows and OSX build master!

Coming up - hex instead of base-32 encoding, and miscellaneous under the
hood improvements to prepare for the creation of torrent:// urls, a
prospect I'm all excited about.

-Bram Cohen

"Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent"
                                        -- John Maynard Keynes