Russian Programmer Not Eager to be Celebrity

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Aug 13 17:49:31 EDT 2001

>> Russian Programmer Not Eager to be Celebrity
>>      Dmitry Sklyarov, the Russian programmer whose arrest last month
>> became a rallying cry for the international digerati, is a reluctant
>> celebrity.

I can't say I'm surprised.  When he's not writing copy protection and
password cracking code, he's also one of the world's leading authors
of spamware, both programs to scrape e-mail addresses from web pages
(http://www.mailutilities.com/aee/) and to spam direct from dialups,
avoiding rate limits in the ISP's mail server
(http://www.mailutilities.com/adr/).

While I agree that the DMCA is an asinine law, and it's doubly asinine
to try to enforce it against non-resident foreigners, Skylarov is
hardly the virtuous innocent that some press accounts suggest he is.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 387 6869
johnl at iecc.com, Village Trustee and Sewer Commissioner, http://iecc.com/johnl,